The National Archives of Scotland Home
A-Z Help Site search
You are in: NAS> Doing research> Remotely
Tuesday 28 February 2017
  Trevelyan Research

Researching remotely

You can carry out some research at the National Records of Scotland (NRS) remotely, either by using this website, or by making enquiries by post, e-mail, telephone or fax. You can also use this website to make better use of your time in the NRS search rooms.

What can I do online?

• search the NRS online catalogue and other catalogues and indexes

• download guides about types of records and popular research topics

• read about the kinds of historical records held by the NRS

Alternatively, in the NRS search rooms you can carry out research into any records which are open to public access and you can benefit from our full range of research facilities, including advice from staff.

What records are available online?

On the ScotlandsPeople website – you can carry out research on indexed digital copies of census returns (1841-1911), wills and testaments (1500-1901) and the 1915 valuation roll.

On the ScotlandsPlaces website NRS has begun making digital copies of tax rolls, Ordnance Survey name books, maps and plans available.

The SCAN website has digital copies of several records from the NRS and other Scottish archives, including the Highlands and Islands Emigration Society passenger lists. The last few years have seen a proliferation of websites offering online access to digital copies, electronic indexes and transcripts of records. It is beyond our resources to keep an up-to-date list of links to these. The SCAN website has a short list of major sites which make Scottish historical records available online and portals which link to online records. For more details look in the SCAN website's Directory.

Making enquiries

How do I make an enquiry by e-mail, post, telephone or fax?

Can I get someone to do research for me?

There are many firms and individuals (usually known as record agents or professional researchers) who undertake paid family history, legal and other searches on behalf of remote researchers. Some of them have asked for the NRS to make their websites known to researchers and their websites are listed under 'Other websites' on the left side of this page. We must point out, however, that if you hire a record agent you will be entering into a private contract and will be responsible for paying the fees of the record agent or professional researcher. The National Records of Scotland accepts no responsibility for the quality or quantity of the work produced by a record agent or professional researcher. In cases where the NRS has agreed to include a link to the website of a record agent or researcher it is the responsibility of the record agent or researcher to notify the NRS of any change in the relevant website address: website links on the NRS website are checked periodically and redundant links are deleted. To view a list of researchers and record agents please go to the NRS website's paying for research page.
Privacy statement | Terms of use | Using our site | Contact us | Complaints procedure | Copyright | Back to top
Page last updated: 7 December 2015

The National Records of Scotland, H.M. General Register House, 2 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY; tel +44 (0) 131 535 1314; email: